Until yesterday, I’d been blissfully unaware of the collected works of Zaki Hasan. In fact, I’d been blissfully unaware of Zaki Hasan, a San Francisco filmmaker and co-founder of an outfit called “Mr. Boy Productions”. But my ignorance came to a screeching halt when I stumbled upon his disingenuous hit piece in the Huffington Post entitled The Right Wing’s Sharia Shenanigans. Zaki’s piece attacks anyone with the temerity to question the self-professed virtues of the “Religion of Peace”. He says, for example:
“even leaving to one side how a relatively benign concept like Sharia — Islamic jurisprudence — has been transmogrified into the new Face of Evil on the Right, who’s even talking about enacting Sharia in this country? Because I know I’m not, nor is anyone I know, nor is anyone in the media, nor is anyone in politics — but nonetheless, we have to stop it.” (Emphasis mine)
Ah, yes. The “relatively benign” concept of Sharia:
- Islam commands that drinkers and gamblers should be whipped. Sura 5:90-91.
- Islam allows husbands to beat their wives. Qur’an, 4:34
- Islam allows an injured plaintiff to exact legal revenge, physical eye for physical eye. Qur’an, 5:45
- Islam commands that a male and female thief must have a hand cut off. Qur’an, 5:38
- Islam commands that highway robbers should be crucified or mutilated. Qur’an, 5:33. As an alternative, the convicted may have a hand and the opposite foot cut off while being banished from the land instead of crucifixion.
- Islam commands that Homosexuals be executed. Abdu Dawud no. 447. Burning to death, stoned while against a wall, or stoned and thrown over a cliff.
- Islam orders unmarried fornicators to be whipped and adulterers to be stoned to death. Qur’an, 24-6
- Islam orders death for Muslim and possible death for non—Muslim critics of Muhammad and the Quran and even sharia itself.
- Islam orders apostates to be killed. Sura 9:11-12
- Islam commands offensive and aggressive and unjust jihad. People of the Book (Jews and Christians) had three options (Sura 9:29): fight and die; convert and pay a forced ‘charity’ or zakat tax; or keep their Biblical faith and pay a jizya or poll tax. The last two options mean that money flows into the Islamic treasury.
Benign sentences relative to being boiled in oil, but perhaps a bit harsher conceptually than Zaki would have us believe. As for who is talking about Sharia in America, how about any number of opportunistic barristers charged with defending certain felonious followers of Mohammad, along with a few fearsomely addled trial judges who seem to have forgotten in which country their courtrooms are located:
“In a recently overturned case, a ‘trial judge found as a fact that defendant committed conduct that constituted a sexual assault’ but did not hold the defendant liable because the defendant believed he was exercising his rights over the victim. Fortunately, a New Jersey appellate court reversed the trial judge. But make no mistake about it: this is no isolated incident. We will see more cases here in the United States where others attempt to impose Sharia law, under the guise of First Amendment protections, as a defense against crimes and other civil violations…the trial court allowed the testimony of an Imam to be entered so that his account of Sharia’s standards could supercede the standards set by the New Jersey legislature. This is not just about cultural defenses, which by themselves are not proper under United States law, but about giving up control of the law to a religious code citizens of this country have no control over, a theocratic code world famous for its antidemocratic, sexist nature and its human rights abuses.”
Zaki’s HuffPo bio indicates a 10-year sojourn in Saudi Arabia, doing what, he does not say. But, as the kingdom of the Sauds claims sponsorship of an extremely conservative (some would say virulent) version of Islam called Salafi, one can assume that Zaki has at least some small passing knowledge of its tenets, at least enough to know that Sharia is not at all the “benign” Islamic jurisprudence that he says it is.
- Taqqiya: “Ground Zero” Imam Rauf supports Iranian Revolution and Sharia Law (tea-and-politics.blogspot.com)
- Muslim Demolition Train Steaming Into The U.S.A. (Boudica BPI Weblog)