The news of the day, as peddled by the lamestream 4th Estate, is like one of Honest Herbie’s Used Cars (“Not A Lemon On The Lot”)—no matter how smoothly it seems to ride, the transmission is probably stuffed with sawdust. Led by the former Grey Lady, now draped more or less exclusively in pink, our effete modern journalists consider the reporting of the news to be of secondary importance to the shaping of public opinion. And that the opinion so shaped always seems to resemble the latest love of the Democratic Party is purely intentional. A 1981 survey on the political attitudes of our professional pundits is revealing:
- Nearly half of the journalists surveyed agreed that “the very structure of our society causes people to feel alienated,” while the authors found “five out of six believe our legal system mainly favors the wealthy.”
- 30 percent disagreed that “private enterprise is fair to workers;” 28 percent agreed that “all political systems are repressive.”
- 54 percent did not regard adultery as wrong, compared to only 15 percent who regarded it as wrong.
- “Ninety percent agree that a woman has the right to decide for herself whether to have an abortion; 79 percent agree strongly with this pro-choice position.”
- Majorities of journalists agreed with the statements: “U.S. exploits Third World, causes poverty” (56%) and “U.S. use of resources immoral” (57%). Three-fourths disagreed that the “West had helped Third World.”
11 years later, the good ship Scrivener’s list to port was even more pronounced:
- 44 percent of journalists identified themselves as Democrats, an increase from the early 1980s, while 16 percent tagged themselves as Republican, a decline from the earlier study.
- “Compared to the overall U.S. population, journalists are 3 percent to 10 percent more likely to say they are Democrats, depending on which national survey you use as a yardstick, and 10 to 17 points less likely to say they are Republicans.”
- Nearly half of the journalists surveyed (47 percent) called themselves “liberal,” compared to 22 percent who described themselves as “conservative.” Gallup polls taken at the same time found just 18 percent of the public considered themselves liberal, while 34 percent of the public said they were conservative.
- The study authors found “minorities are much more likely to call themselves Democrats than are white journalists, especially blacks (70 percent), Asians (63 percent) and Hispanics (59 percent).”
- Women journalists (58 percent) are much more likely than men (38 percent) to prefer the Democratic Party.
- More than half of journalists (51%) said abortion should be “legal under any circumstances,” compared to just 4 percent who thought abortion should be “illegal in all circumstances.” Among the general public, 33 percent wanted abortion “legal under any circumstances,” and 14 percent thought it should always be illegal.
There are two schools of thought as to the reason for the mass media’s generally unfair and unbalanced reportage. One group of critics believes the class of professional scribes and broadcasters to be overloaded with ivy league progressives:
America’s Marxist Media (Pajamas Media)
As Kyle-Anne Shiver wrote in an article for Pajamas Media on August 28, 2010, “We now know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our formerly august mainstream media is replete with socialists.”
[…] In the interest of clarity, though, let’s not use the word “socialists,” a term that has become somewhat socially acceptable in certain quarters and to that extent masks the radicalism of their ideas. Socialists are Marxists, so let’s call them what they are: Marxists.
[…] Why do some conservatives wait and hope for the media to change their tone, to begin to treat the conservative viewpoint with at least some small amount of respect or fairness? We will wait and hope in vain.
They cannot even acknowledge that conservatives have a viewpoint that is worthy of consideration because they are Marxists, and to a Marxist truth is whatever advances the cause of Marxism. Whatever does not advance the cause of Marxism is an untruth, not to be refuted but suppressed and stamped out.
[…] The problem is groupthink. There simply are too many liberals in America’s big, important newsrooms. News executives worship at the alter of diversity, but what has it gotten us? White liberals and black liberals, male liberals and female liberals, Latino liberals, Asian liberals, gay liberals and straight liberals.
Whatever. The journalistic combination of useful idiots and committed Marxists has foisted upon us at last a president and Executive Branch so radical it makes any previous incarnation of American liberalism look positively reactionary.
As the Marxist corruption of the language is expected to intensify as we move into the latest election cycle, it would behoove conscientious citizens everywhere to consult the latest edition of the Liberal To English Dictionary before opening their morning paper (or clicking on its link, as the case may be). A few examples for the unwary reader:
LiberalSpeak —> English
“Progressive” = Left Liberal or Socialist
“Radical” = Conservative
“Undocumented Immigrants” = Illegal Aliens
“Special interest groups” = Non-liberal groups
“Monopoly” = Any corporation with market cap over $500 million
“Fundamentalist” = Conservative
“Greed” = Profit motive
“Rigid Ideologue” = A conservative who stands on principles.
“Compromise” = Agree with liberal agenda
“Hate rhetoric” = Criticism of liberals.
“Extremist” = Anybody who opposes anything a liberal wants.
“Lies” = “Policy Differences”
“Racist” = “Anyone who Disagrees with Us”
“Cut” = Reduction in the rate of growth
“Unconstitutional” = “we don’t like it.”
“Open Minded” = “Subscribes to Liberal Dogma”
“Fully fund” = Write a Blank check
“Diversity” = Lock step conformity with liberal agenda
“Closed-minded” = Does not agree with liberal agenda
“Right wing extremist” = Please See ‘closed-minded’ & ‘extremist’
“Social responsibility” = Force someone else to pay for it
“Deserving poor” = People who vote for liberals
“Tax the rich” = Tax anyone with a job
“Multiculturalism” = America is responsible for all the world’s ills and is inferior to all other cultures
“Militants” = Islamofascists
“Insurgents” = Terrorists
“Freedom Fighters” = Please see “Militants” and “Insurgents”.
“Decriminalization” = Legalization
“Regulate” = Ban
“Unprecedented” = Anything a conservative does to challenge thirty years of liberalism.
“The constitution is a living document.” = The Constitution is malleable enough to be reworked at the whim of the courts.
“Deficit Reduction” = Tax Hike
“Bipartisanship” = When “moderate” and/or “Rino” Republicans go along with the liberal agenda.
“Contributions” = Taxes
“Stolen election” = When the Republican candidate gets more votes than the Democrat candidate.
It is to be hoped that the above translation aids all and sundry who have not yet enrolled in a Liberal-Speak As A Second Language course.
Related story: Big “L” (An Ol’ Broad’s Ramblings)