Just a few days after Governor Rick Perry incurred the wrath of Barack Obama and the imperious mavens of international jurisprudence by removing the alien murderer Humberto Leal Garcia from the gene pool in accordance with the laws of the sovereign Lone Star state, Congressman Joe Barton of the 6th District is leading a House revolt against the 2007 legislation that convicted Thomas Edison’s incandescent light bulbs of crimes against radical environmentalists and sentenced them to die beginning in 2012. Passed by the 110th Congress led by the left-wing madwoman Nancy Pelosi and the liberal conniver Harry Reid, and signed into law by George W. Bush, a Texan who should have remembered the Alamo, the grossly misnamed Energy Independence & Security Act
- Requires roughly 25 percent greater efficiency for light bulbs, phased in from 2012 through 2014. This effectively bans the sale of most current incandescent light bulbs.
- Requires roughly 200 percent greater efficiency for light bulbs, or similar energy savings, by 2020.
- Requires automakers to boost fleetwide gas mileage to 35 mpg (14.8 km/l) by 2020. This applies to all passenger automobiles, including light trucks.
- Requires vehicle technology and transportation electrification and incentives for the development of plug-in hybrids
- Requires taxpayer funding for increased production of biofuels.
- Requires taxpayer funding of research and development of solar energy, geothermal energy, and marine and hydrokinetic renewable energy technologies.
- Requires creation of a taxpayer funded training program for “Energy efficiency and renewable energy workers”.
- Requires modernization of the electricity grid to improve reliability and efficiency. [i.e. the “Smart Grid. See “Smart” Grid? Nope, Just Totalitarian]
- Creates the Office of Climate Change and Environment in the Department of Transportation.
This wasn’t legislation; it was Al Gore’s laundry list. Barack Obama’s Energy Secretary, the global Warmist and incipient totalitarian Dr. Steven Chu, says of the light bulb ban,
“We are taking away a choice that continues to let people waste their own money.”
Mandates are the Democrats’ game, of course, not choice, unless the choice is for abortion; and no Democrat alive ever saw a private dollar that he believed wouldn’t do better work in the profligate hands of the government. But I digress. Congressman Joe says,
“If I’m Al Gore, I can spend $5 or $6 for a pigtail light bulb. But if I’m an average family, I’m not sure I have the luxury of doing that. I’m not opposed to the CFLS [compact fluorescent light bulbs]. I think they should earn their way in the marketplace, not be given a monopoly so to speak.”
But who will choose lights that
brighten slowly, function poorly with dimmer knobs, and emit a color of light that many find unappealing.
Even worse, according to EnergyStar.gov, each CFL contains 4 milligrams of toxic mercury. An average CFL includes enough mercury to pollute 528 gallons of water, which would fill 10.5 typical, 50-gallon residential water heaters. As the EPA warns, “High exposures to inorganic mercury may result in damage to the gastrointestinal tract, the nervous system, and the kidneys.” [CFL Bulbs Inefficient, Job Killing – Newmax]
And you don’t want to drop one of those swirly bulbs:
Breaking a CFL triggers a significant health hazard that requires a 10-step cleanup. Among other things, EPA recommends “opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.” No problem . . . unless you occupy an apartment, hotel room, or office with sealed windows.
“Continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the H&AC system shut off, as practical, for several hours,” EPA counsels.
This might upset residents of Phoenix, where temperatures hit 105 degrees Tuesday. Likewise, opening one’s windows in Minneapolis might be unappealing in January, when highs average 22 degrees.
Old CFLs should be disposed of properly at recycling centers. Dream on. Most consumers will toss them in the trash with their tea bags. Mercury will accumulate in America’s landfills, possibly with disastrous results. [Ibid]
Jackass legislation–defy it, repeal it, and never, ever vote for the idiots that craft it.