“There’s been a tendency on the part of this administration to try and hide behind executive privilege any time there’s something a little shaky that’s taking place.” — Barack Obama, 2007
Ah, Executive Privilege — the last refuge of the presidential scoundrel. Despite what he said about his favorite foil George W. Bush a few years back, it turns out that ol’ Shaky … I mean ol’ Barack … is not particularly averse to hiding behind Executive Privilege himself when it comes to covering his gluteus maximus and that of his head Jackass, Attorney General Holder:
Attorney General Eric Holder asked Tuesday for President Obama to exert executive privilege over documents pertaining to the Justice Department’s botched “Fast and Furious” gun running operation.
Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, was informed today that the president granted Holder’s request.
Alas, Obama’s last minute procedural Hail Mary failed to save the A.G.:
A House panel voted Wednesday to place Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress for his failure to comply with a subpoena, defying an assertion of executive privilege from President Obama … All 23 Republicans on the committee voted for the contempt resolution, while all 17 Democrats voted against it.
A Border Patrol agent murdered, over 50 Mexican nationals slaughtered — including the brother of the prosecutor the state of Chihuahua — over 2,000 weapons illegally distributed by a United States government agency into the hands of the drug cartels that are turning the Southwest into a war zone … and not a single Democrat wants to get to the bottom of it? Now that’s contemptible.
- Holder refuses to turn Fast & Furious Documents over to Issa (grumpyelder.com)
- President’s move forces media to mention scandal (Times 24/7)
- The President MUST Be Involved in an Issue to Invoke Executive Privilege (NoisyRoom.net)
- Obama’s need for “Executive Privilege” (Canada Free Press)
- Family of Slain Border Agent to Holder: We Deserve the Truth (Big Government)
- CBS: Documents Show Fast and Furious Designed to Limit Guns and Gun Sales – New Law: Demand Letter 3 (Maggie’s Notebook)
- Disputing with a Professor (The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler)